Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Get a [Leatherman] Kick out of Home Depot



So, as you can imagine, being employed only heavy-part-time has its advantages. Like going to Home Depot on a whim at noon on a wednesday to get batteries for flashlights and game console controllers. I picked up a fat 36 count pack of AA's and wandered the better-than-usual flashlight section. As I type I'm actually waiting for GC, the California Madman to arrive from his adopted home-state in a Toyota 4 Runner that stinks of Peruvian hotsauce. I went out to Home Depot so I could be close to the freeway to guide him to the Rocky Bay compund upon his arrival. Still no Gabe, so here we go...to the point: I had put Leatherman's Skeletool on my Xmas list. There's a stainless one and a swiss [sweet] carbon fiber handled one. I already have a great Victorinox[original Swiss Army] Swisstool that's in good shape, if not a little roughed up from use when I worked for those evil bastids in Redmond's corporate housing game. Home Deppoe [that's how a Brit colleague used to say it] had Leatherman's Kick tool for $29.96, which seemed reasonable. I got home and just checked online prices, and they are all between $25 and $35 USD, plus shipping. I walked out of the Deppoe with one for $29.96 + WA tax, not bad. So now I can put another thing on my Xmas list, like a new Benchmade, maybe, as IF I need another one. The Kick is basically a next-gen Leatherman update of their classic PST, or Pocket Survival Tool.

Leatherman KICK with Leather Sheath
Needlenose Pliers
Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
Hard-Wire Cutters
Clip-Point Knife
Large Screwdriver
Small Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Ruler (8 inch/19 cm)
Bottle/Can Opener
Wire Stripper
Lanyard Attachment
Length: 4 in. / 10 cm closed — 6.3 in / 16 cm open
Weight: 5.2 ounces / 162 grams
Materials: 100% stainless steel (Optimum grade hardness for each tool/blade)

Pretty indicative of Leatherman's typical quality, with the addition of zytel handle inserts for comfort. These guys and Victorinox are the ONLY names I personally trust in a multi-tool, though I know lots of fans of SOG's tools. Kafr, who may write on here one day, is a military vet of the recent middle-eastern conflicts, his personal use and endorsement of Victorinox Swisstools gives me even greater confidence in them. I do like Leatherman though, and they were top-sellers when I worked retail cutlery for a reason...we managers and employees used them and liked them. I like that they are USA made, except for sheaths, which are Hecho en Mexico.



I should know better than to walk into HD after I get a paycheck, but I only spent $52.00 and got the Leatherman Kick, 36 AA batteries and a cool fucking yellow compact flourescent lightbulb.

Click here for a good laugh, Leatherman's poster-lobster; Bionic Lobster

3pm California Madman update: GC's ma just called me, seems he lost his phone somewhere between Sacramento and Fresno! He had all relevant phone numbers in that phone, so he's stuck using gas station payphones until he can get maybe a prepaid phone, but we thing all he's got is cash, no way to get minutes I don't think on a prepaid without a debit or credit card. As long as that truck runs, he'll push on though, I know the man well and he is relentless when he sets his mind to somehting, I hope he has a multitool in case the 4Runner goes tits up. Maybe I'll give him a Swiss Army for the trip home...it's gonna be another long drive.

10/24/08 UPDATE: California Madman arrived safe and had dinner with us and got some sleep and did some laundry. He also brought me Peruvian liquor, some cool old knife and gun books, and a Crossman .357 mag air pistol. Also, I put the new Leatherman Kick to great use at work today. I helped the crew of a farm and feed store unload my company's products and some other stuff. Rather than pull out my tactical-as-a-motherfucker Benchmade Rift, I used the Leatherman Kick's capable clip point blade. I broke down boxes for recycle, cut open outer wrap etc. My dad even used the Kick's blade today to open some USPS packages. I found the tool rides light on the hip in its included classic leather sheath. I love my Victorinox Swisstool, but that has earned a permanent place in my car, while the Leatherman Kick will go with me to work on my belt or in my work bag. I found that the flat screwdriver blade on the tool works great for refilling Toque 1 gram snuff bullets or even just for taking a quick loosely measured hit of snuff out of a 10 gram tin. Multitools seem to freak out "sheeple" way less than black tactical knives...though the predominately female staff at the store where I had business today all carry "superknife" type razorblade folders.

No comments: