Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Spyderco Bi-Fold AUTO Folding Knife


WTF?!
I guess we'll have to handle this one in person to fully grasp the concept...
That said, a Spyderco USA Made auto for around $90.00 USD (retail is $135) sounds good to me!

Quick & dirty, here's Spyderco's marketing copy on this spring-loaded monstrosity:

""Spyderco’s Bi-Fold folder opens and closes just like a book. While it may not be traditional, it is undeniably usable and innovative. The knife centers around a Fred Perrin inspired index finger hole. Located inside the hole is a trigger which unlocks the blade using a spring. The position of the trigger’s release cleverly situates the index finger though the hole. With the index finger in the hole the knife is retained in your hand in a ready-to-cut position. This also frees up your fingertips for grasping other items while still holding the knife. Although the blade is only 1.25 inches long, due to the ‘spring action’ the Bi-Fold is considered a ‘Restricted Item’ under the wording and definition of The Federal Switchblade Law. It is subject to individual state and federal laws applied to both buyers and sellers purchasing restricted items. In plainspeak, check before buying. To close the blade, press in the trigger and swing the blade into the handle. A separate locking mechanism inside keeps it closed, and for added peace of mind manually operated backup lock doubly insures it remains closed. Jimping on the blade’s spine and behind the cutting edge provide tactile resistance to slipping. The 440C, metal injection molded, flat-saber ground blade has weight reducing cutouts and is available with a full PlainEdge cutting edge. It attaches inside a pocket with a right hand tip-down clip. Spyderco’s Bi-Fold is interesting, innovative and functional and nothing else in the knife industry is quite like it.""

Hmmm...440c? Okay, could be worse, it keeps the price down and 440c has a long history of tried and true cutlery performance. I dunno, it just looks fragile to me, with that mechanism exposed like that. I can never fault Sal Glesser and company for their creativity, and their willingness to push the boundaries of the definition of the word "knife". Seems like they'd be able to sell a lot more of these if they'd simply managed to make the knife an everywhere-legal "assisted" opener, instead of calling it an auto. Regardless, an interesting piece of engineering. If anybody wants to send us one (Mr. Glesser, hint hint), Eric B. and myself will be happy to put it through its paces. If anybody has firsthand experience and can tell us more, feel free to comment, or email me.

Oh yeah, the Bi Fold was designed in conjunction, at least stylistically, with everybody's favorite Frenchman, Fred Perrin. I'm stoked on Perrin and Spydie's limited edition Swick knife as well. I wonder if the UFC's Mike 'Quick' Swick will take legal action in regards to the name?!

the Perrin/Spyderco Swick:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i bought one from kc last week. it is pretty unique and once you handle it you will understand how it "work." although if i wasnt a huge spydie fan i would have never chose this as my first auto choice. fast, lightweight and sharp it does raise a lot of eyerows i admit that...
i would say 6/10. after all th eblade isnt very big and you have to grp it a funyn way

Aaron said...

Awesome! thanks for the comment!!
I figured it would most appeal to diehard Spyderco fans, and as I said, can't fault Glesser for pushing the envelope! Enjoy your knife, thanks for reading
-A

Anonymous said...

So, any idea how I can buy one? I live in Colorado (USA) and would love to get my hands on one, but the only place that seems to sell them online is the knifecenter.com and they won't see it to me unless I am miliary or law enforcement.

Thank!

Aaron said...

well, I don't know how far you are from Golden, but Spyderco is there, you could see about buying from them, i THINK Autos are legal there just like Oregon, I went down to Benchmade in OR City and they sell autos down there w/o ID. I'd see about Spyderco's factory, and see if they've got a showroom, and since Spyderco can mfg. autos there, I bet you can get them at better knife shops (brick& mortar, physical stores). Good luck, and thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Aaron. I had no idea they were here in CO. I did just call their main site/factory outlet. They told me the same as knifecenter.com. They can only sell it to ACTIVE military and/or law enforcement. Seems silly for such a small knife. Anyway, I will see if I can get one some other way. Thanks again! Ken

Anonymous said...

As a side note...if you have a "source" that could help me out. Let me know :-) Thanks again for the review.

Aaron said...

I guess your only recourse might be to go there with a friend or family member who may have LE or MIL ID...or shop around some other knife sites, there may well be a site out there that doesn't exactly ask for that kind of thing, it I get any more info, I'll repost here.

Aaron said...

@ Benchmade for instance, as long as you didn't mention you were from out of state, it wasn't a big deal.Either way.. It might be worth it to simply go check it out, as they might have cool stuff that's not widely available. I agree, most assisted openers which are legal open faster than most autos anyway, it's a silly old rule, just like the United Kingdom stipulation than bans carry of any folding knife which locks. So dumb, anyway, good luck

Anonymous said...

I just received one last week and have another on order. Very ingenious design. Personally I would beef it up somewhat to make the two pieces lock up more firmly in the 'open' position. The knife made out of M390 super-steel would be an asset.

Aaron said...

NIce! thanks for the comment Anon. I am curious to handle one in person, it's got to be one of Spyderco's strangest designs yet. I have heard great things about M390 as a bladestell, but I don't currently own anything with it, so I'll have to check it out asap!
thanks for reading!
-A