Friday, January 8, 2010

News - Spyderco Ti Military


Damn, I loved my G10 Spydie Military. I got it about a decade ago at a suburban mall cutlery shop North of where I grew up, it was grossly, and obviously mistakenly under-priced and I knew it, so I paid cash and got out of there before those clowns realized the deal they just gave me. It was sacrificed in a trade somewhere along the way, but it was a solid knife. I miss my Spyderco Terzuola Starmate also, which was pretty similar in composition and feel to the old original Spyderco Military, that one got traded to a boss of mine long ago, I think for a Microtech manual Kestrel...anyhow.

This new incarnation has full Ti handles and Chris Reeve's take on the framelock/monolock, which they refer to as the "Reeve Integral Lock", same concept he uses on his famous Sebenza folders. Pretty rugged dude, if I had some extra cash I might think about picking this one up. I'm sure this (stolen) picture does it no justice. I think the only thing I don't like about all versions of the Military, is the clip, it's big, obvious, shiny and just cries out "Hey! Everybody! I'm carrying a large folding knife! Hey! Yeah! Over here!". Bullshit. I actually have had strangers in public once or twice approach me in a friendly (yet misguided) attempt at brotherhood and ask "hey! what are you carrying!?" I hate that. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs. but I like to blend in and be as unmemorable as possible, I don't know why, I just don't like making pals out of strangers who wanna show me the steel they're packing (usually excitable high school guys). I guess there ARE some Spyderco Military models with black hardware, but even still, for my tastes, too much knife sticks up out of the pocket and has the chance to catch on seatbelts, furniture etc. Ok, tangent done, rant over.

Specifications

* Blade: 4" (102 mm)
* Edge: 3-11/16" (94 mm)
* Closed: 5-1/2" (140 mm)
* Overall: 9-1/2" (241 mm)
* Steel: CPM-S30V
* Weight: 5.9 oz. (167 g)
* Edge: Plain
* Clip: Right
* Tip Carry: Down
* Made in Golden Colorado, USA
US Made Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: